Library services were first offered for the Union-Miles Park neighborhood at the Union Avenue Community Station’s storefront on Union Avenue prior to 1938. It was made a branch in 1938, and a year later the Union Branch moved to another building located at 9319 Union Avenue.
Union Branch opened its new building in 1982. The architects considered the aesthetic and the residential tradition of the neighborhood in the design. Union Branch is constructed of brick and limestone like St. Catherine’s Church–which the library faces. The two entrances have cupolas echoing church architecture, which admit patrons to the 9,100 square feet of this facility
Children and community volunteers work in the Summer Sprout Garden Project on the southern grounds of the Union Branch.
Notable art includes: Cloud, Wind, Sea by Andrea Hahn, 1982; Heart Plains by Jeff Fauser, 1982; and Snow Fence by Gene Kangas, a painted steel sculpture.